Thursday, October 22, 2009

Rockman In Newtype Magazine

Thanks to fellow reader Thomas, here's a small character profile from the newest issue of Newtype Japan Magazine which discusses Rockman and his success over the years, with commentary from  Keiji Inafune.

"Rockman was born in 1987. The mainstream of those days was for robots to have weapons like that of Gundam. But that wasn't like the robots I saw as a child who understood the heart, and I wanted to revitalize the world with that kind of robot," says Inafune.

"Even now, the boss character contests done since Rockman 2 are huge. When I saw those submissions I got, I never would have thought of those designs by myself.  It always reminded me that it's not just me who's building Rockman, it's the fans too."

4 comments:

  1. Haha, "it's not just me, it's the fans too..."

    While that's true, it just sounds like hilarious gushy PR spew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anon 1: I think Inafune genuinely cares about RockMan and its fans. I could be wrong, but I think RockMan 9 was pretty good proof of this, though one could also site the lack of DASH3 as argument against this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inafune's comment at the end brought Astroboy to my head ("But that wasn't like the robots I saw as a child who understood the heart, and I wanted to revitalize the world with that kind of robot"), I really think that Inafune got inspired by Ozamo Tezuka (creator of Astroboy) and his famous creation, Astro. I find both those series alike in a way, but each still have their different touch.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it friendly. Disparaging, belittling and derogatory comments are not permitted.